This is meant to provide a glimpse of ideas to tasty homemade smoothies and shakes. My goal is to serve you–to educate and inform on the power of whole food nutrition. I would love to show you all a little secret of nature over vitamins and how adding more fruits and veggies to anyone’s diet (healthy or not) can improve your quality of life.
It is a word we all know too well. Between work, school and play– there never seems to be a right time to “slow down, before we can speed up.” And our health is being compromised due to the “disease of being busy.”
We don’t have enough quality sleep. We opt for a soda or a caffeine-induced drink instead of water to get us through that wall we hit, midday. Nutrition is usually found through a drive-thru on the way to life. And exercise—does running around after a toddler count?
Our kids are the biggest benefactors of the lifestyle choices we make. And given the epidemic of “busy” and the availability of unhealthy food choices, the Standard American Diet (SAD) is impacting our waistlines, our kids’ waistlines and our long-term wellness. Take a look at some of the recent American health statistics.
We need help. It is much easier to train a child, than to fix a broken man.
Why do we need all this?
Protein is a vital macronutrient for the body—meaning, we need relatively large amounts of it to stay healthy. Proteins play a crucial role in almost all biological processes. Our bodies use protein to build and repair tissues, make enzymes, hormones and other body chemicals. It is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin and blood.
Amino Acids are organic compounds that combine to form proteins. They are the building blocks of proteins. What we know is that there are 20 different amino acids that can form a protein, nine of which, the body cannot produce on its own. These are called essential amino acids. We need to supplement them into our diets. And the VERY best place to get essential amino acids: from whole foods.
Almost all of those ready to eat drink “smoothies” are ultra-processed and have some sort of added sugar, growth hormones or other added unhealthy ingredients.
We can make our own smoothies and shakes at home using tons of different real whole foods. It’s totally unnecessary to add any processed sweetness. Nature has been giving us natural options for thousands of years. Let’s look at some yummy options.
When I think of Smoothies I think first off, FRUIT.
There are many options for Fresh or Frozen Fruit
- Blueberries, Watermelon
- Cherries, Apple
- Bananas, Raspberries
- Pineapple, Kiwi
- Strawberries, Lime
- Mango, Cranberries
- Grapefruit, Lemon
- Peach, avocado
- Pear or grapes
- Honeydew, Cantaloupe
- Guava, Papaya
- Elderberries, Figs
Keep in mind that Grapes, Banana, Mango, Cherries and Apples are (listed in order form highest to lowest), Fruits that are naturally high in sugars.
On the other hand fruits (listed in lowest to highest here) are low in total sugars, Avocado, Lemon, Strawberries, Papaya, Grapefruit and Blueberries.
Veggies are great in smoothies.
You might need to Roast some first or chop raw ones smaller. It’s all based on your taste and how badass is your blender? -Haha
- Carrots (shredded or Roasted)
- Cucumber (seeds in or out but skin off)
- Roasted Sweet Potato or Yams
- Spinach, Kale, Arugula
- Sweet pea shoots
- Cauliflower (roasted or cut small)
Natural Sweeteners, Nature’s Candy
Fresh Herbs, Natural Extracts and Essential oils (I recommend Young Living brand) Buy oils here
- Vanilla extract
- Peppermint Vitality essential oil
- Lavender Vitality essential oil
Base Options to build upon
- Ice is very common but frozen fruit helps add that cold frozen texture
- Rice milk, Coconut milk or water
- Unsweetened flax or and seed milk
- Almond or any other nut milk
- Fresh fruit and vegetable juice
- Water, works just as great
Seeds and Nuts
- Pumpkin, flax, chia or hemp Seeds
- Almond, hazelnuts, cashews, peanuts
- Walnuts, Quinoa
- Cooked Steel Cut Oats
- Soaked overnight Oats
- Cooked Brown Rice
- Cooked Wheat Berries
The lists of possible Whole foods is endless!
Here are some Ideas for great tasting smoothies that our family loves to drink. When introducing kids to smoothies, make sure they like the ingredients, it’s exciting! If you’re lucky your kid likes veggies otherwise disguise them with fruits or dairy products like yogurt or cream. There are a lot of alternative dairy products that would work well too.
These are ideas of different combos to play around with. No specific recipe here just experiment with your families taste.
- Fresh Orange Juice (or orange), yogurt, peach and shredded carrot
- Beet (peeled and diced) apple, blueberry, ginger, water
- Kiwi, Avocado, orange any greens like spinach or parsley
- Kale, banana, flax seeds, soy milk and a tiny bit of maple syrup
- Grapes, banana, parsley any milk substitute
- Cucumber (English, chopped) lemon, frozen pineapple, ginger and coconut water
These are combo smoothie recipes that we enjoy around our house. Most of these serve 2 smoothies or for 2 small people and some for Mom or Dad
Berry Refreshing Beach
- 1 cup of fresh OJ and optional (some of that zest, before you juice it)
- 3 cups frozen blackberries
- 1 cup of coconut water or more if needed
- ½ cup of frozen mango
- Basil leaves to taste (Fresh, maybe 3-6 each)
- 1 apple skin on, core and chopped
- 2 cups frozen papaya or (mango would work)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk or (coconut water)
- 1 cup of packed romaine lettuce or (spinach)
- 2 teaspoons chia seeds
- Pinch of cinnamon
- (optional) sweetener like soaked dates or coconut sugar
These are great shake ideas that you can make with your Juice Plus Complete Mix. So easy and so convenient with a choice of those already measured out packets. If you don’t have the packets use approx. 1/3 cup.
- 2 ripe Pears, skin on, cored and diced
- ½ cup (plus more if needed) hemp milk or (any nut milk)
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 vanilla Juice Plus Complete packet
- 1 juiced Lime plus the zest (before you juice)
- 1 soaked date, chopped a bit
- ½ a banana
- ½ cup of ice, crushed
Creamy Apricot Fighter
- 4 medium apricots, pitted and chopped
- 1 packet of Juice Plus Vanilla Complete Mix
Sneaky Chocolate Boost
- 1 cup almond milk plus (more if needed)
- 1 cup cauliflower florets (steamed and cooled down)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 packet of Juice Plus Chocolate Complete Mix
I wish I was Eating Thin Mints
- 1 celery stalk, small diced
- 1 packet of Juice Plus Chocolate Complete mix
- Fresh mint to taste ( 3 or 4 leaves)
- 1-2 each Dates, soaked and chopped
Juice Plus Complete Shakes are great addition to help Bridge The Gap of our diets.
It is pretty safe to say, not all proteins or protein mixes are created equal.
The JuicePlus Complete is a plant-based protein drink mix that provides the benefits of whole food nutrition. Real food made convenient to you. The right kind of proteins, from plant sources in either Dutch chocolate or French vanilla–large bags for the family to share or individual, single-serving packs for “on-the-go” healthy, fast food– Complete bridges the gap between what we do eat and what we should eat everyday.
Complete is certified Non-GMO, Certified Gluten-free, low fat, non-dairy, no cholesterol, no artificial coloring or flavors, no preservatives, low glycemic, low calorie and vegan.
Carrying a nutrition label, not a supplement label, means that what is inside each Complete pouch is real food. Not synthetic, isolated/fragmented vitamins created in a scientific lab. It is important to distinguish between the two, as our bodies are designed to understand and process real food. It is what our cells are craving most.
Let’s take a deeper look at the nutrition label and highlight the amazing health benefits:
- 6 plant-based proteins, including several types of “Complete” proteins, meaning they contain all the essential amino acids our bodies need
- Ancient grain blend: amaranth, quinoa and millet. Ancient grains house a stellar nutritional profile. They contain many essential vitamins, particularly B Vitamins, as well as minerals like magnesium and potassium and iron.
- Sprouts: broccoli, alfalfa and radish. Sprouts house as much as 100 times the digestive enzymes of uncooked fruits and veggies.. Imperative in the breakdown and absorption of nutrients.
- Powders: pumpkin, pomegranate, spirulina and yucca
- Great ratio of carbohydrates/fiber. Great balanced food source for diabetics.
Complete is so easy, so versatile. It can travel with you anywhere. But did you know it is now traveling to the hospital? Dr. William Sears, world-respected pediatrician and author of more than 32 books on the care of children, is bringing Juice Plus Complete to the hospital.
Partnering with The Children’s Miracle Network and fully-sponsored by The JuicePlus Company, Dr. Bill has created an 80-page, hands-on guide for every family with a sick child, that enters a children’s hospital in the United States. WOW!!
Teaching families the power of healing through laughter, joy, music and good nutrition—our JuicePlus smoothie is featured as THE “healing smoothie.” After all, it was Dr. Bill that coined the JuicePlus Complete as a “brainy breakfast.”
Think of the impact JuicePlus is having across the world, in teaching families the power of healthy nutrition. We are not only a company that inspires healthy living across the world, but also a company that inspires healthy giving.
The wrap up
Obviously this has been all about smoothies, adding more nutrition and whole foods to your diet and also Juice Plus Complete (Shake) Program. If you want a picture of what the Juice Plus Company has to offer, check out the image below. You have several options in creating the right program for you. You can start with Complete and “blend” it masterfully into your life. Add the capsules or chews to flood your body with more produce. (and with an adult capsules or chews order a child ages 4 and older will get product for free as part of the Children’s Health Study)
Thank you so much for your time and interest in learning more. I am having fun sharing recipes, and Juice Plus’s mission of inspiring healthy living across the world.
Get with me to learn more about ways to make your decision complete–all it takes is one simple change.
Please look at what Juice Plus has to offer your family and friends here over at Juice Plus Healthy Living